Although bio-pharmaceutical companies engage intensely in collaboration as well as in scientific publications it is not well understood how and why the choice of distinct partner types affects the quality of companies’ scientific publications. We contribute to this gap in the existing literature by analyzing whether collaboration with particular types of partners and whether network embeddedness influences the quality of publications in cancer research, and specifically of the scientific publications of biotech and of pharmaceutical companies. Our empirical analysis employs two different measures for scientific quality, publication in top-tier journals and the number of forward citations. The results suggest that publication in top-tier journals may depend on different factors and collaboration patterns compared to the number of citations an article receives.
About Maureen Mc Kelvey
Research and Publications
Professor McKelvey’s research addresses innovation and entrepreneurship. An underlying theoretical proposition from an evolutionary and Schumpeterian paradigm is that innovation and entrepreneurship are closely related to processes of creating, accessing, and diffusing knowledge and opportunities.
Publications in press include:
- McKelvey, M., Zaring, O. & Ljungberg, D., 2014. Creating innovative opportunities through research collaboration: An evolutionary framework and empirical illustration in engineering. Technovation, In press, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation. 2014.05.008.
- Malerba, M.; Caloghirou, Y. ; McKelvey, M.; and Radosevic, S. (2015). The Dynamics of Knowledge Intensive Entrepreneurship: Business Strategy and Public Policy. Routledge. In press
- McKelvey, M. and Bagchi-Sen, S. (2015). Innovation Spaces in Asia: Entrepreneurs, Multinational Enterprises, and Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishers. In press
Acknowledgements for Current Research Programs
The Sten A Olsson Foundation for Research and Culture (Sten A Olssons stiftelse för forskning och kultur) supports IIE’s research program “Radical Innovations for the Enhancement of the Swedish Economy”. This large research program, running 2013-2015 involves many researchers at IIE. Rick Middel is Coordinator, and Professor McKelvey is the principal investigator.
The continuing support from the Volvo Group, to Professor McKelvey’s professorship in ”Industrial Management” (industriell ekonomi) is also acknowledged. The School of Business, Economics and Law was able to develop IIE and this professorship, due to the generous support of Carl Bennet AB, SKF Group and Volvo Group.
Academic Position and Responsibilities
Professor of Industrial Management
Director of Research and PhD Education at IIE
Professor responsible for quality, academic content and development the following MSc (English, two year):
- The Master of Science in “Innovation and Industrial Management” (IIM)
- The Master of Science in “Knowledge Based Entrepreneurship” (KBE)
Previously Professor at Chalmers University of Technology from December 2000 to January 2008
Professor McKelvey is engaged in a variety of academic leadership positions:
- Director of RIDE, the Vinnova Center of Excellence (2004-2008)
- Vice-Dean of the School of Business, Economics and Law (2009-2011)
- Head of Graduate School, responsible for approximately 400 MSc students in all fields and 11 academic and administrative staff (2008-2013)
- Served on many international advisory committees such as DRUID, Manchester Institute of Innovation, International Joseph A. Schumpeter society, KEINS (EU), AEGIS (EU), and Globelics.
Maureen Mc Kelvey
University of Gothenburg
Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
Edificio 8E, Acceso J, Planta 5ª (Sala Común. Cubo Rojo)
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia | Camino de Vera s/n